How many attempts are permissible?
- maximum of 4 attempts for general category
- maximum of 7 attempts for OBC category
- no restriction for SC/ST category, except age limit
Is the preliminary exam is subjective or Objective?
The preliminary examination is Objective type. You will see multiple choice questions in the exam.
Is there any negative marking for the exam? Should I go ahead by attempting more number ofquestions?
Yes, there is negative marking. For every wrong answer you marked, 1/3rd of the question's marks are deducted from your score.
If a candidate has done his graduation without passing class X and/or class XII, is he eligible?
Can a candidate write different papers of Civil Services (Main) Examination in different languages?
No, candidates have the option to write their answers either in English or in any one of the Eight Scheduled Languages but must use the same language for all the papers.
If a candidate has only applied but has not appeared for CSAT Examination, will it be counted as an attempt?
No. An attempt is counted only if a candidate has appeared in at least one paper.
Can a candidate, who has completed his education from an open school/ university, apply for the Commissions Examination?
Yes, provided it is recognized.
What are the optional subjects for the Mains?
There are a total of 25 Optional Subjects available for the Mains Examination. A candidate has to choose two from them. Following is the list of optional subjects:
Agriculture, Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science, Anthropology, Botany, Chemistry, Civil Engineering, Commerce & Accountancy, Economics, Electrical Engineering, Geography, Geology, History, Law, Management, Mathematics, Mechanical Engineering, Medical Science, Philosophy, Physics, Political Science & International Relations, Psychology, Public Administration, Sociology, Statistics, Zoology
Literature of one of the following languages: Arabic, Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Kashmiri, Konkani, Marathi, Malayalam, Manipuri, Nepali, Oriya, Pali, Persian, Punjabi, Russian, Sanskrit, Sindhi, Tamil, Telugu, Urdu
Are there any combinations of subjects that are not allowed?
Following combinations of subjects are not allowed:
- Political Science & International Relations; and Public Administration
- Commerce & Accountancy; and Management
- Anthropology and Sociology
- Mathematics and Statistics
- Agriculture; and Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science.
- Management and Public Administration
- Of the Engineering subjects, viz., Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering - not more than one subject
- Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science; and Medical Science