Some Important Tips:
- You have to attempt 100 questions in 3 hours, so no such time pressure is there. Try to attempt easy & direct questions in first hour.
- Revise the important results/formulae as some of the questions simply require recalling the standard results.
- Here are some important concepts from which questions are most expected:
LPP, Eigen values/vectors, Simpson’s rule, Trapezoidal rule, Differential equations, Directional derivatives, Gradient, Change of variable/order in multiple integration, Probability distribution
- Never try random guess work as negative marking is 1/3rd.
- Use elimination method/substitution method
For Example: Consider these questions from JAM 2009
The value of 3 + 1/[2 + (1/(2 + 1/2 .....))] is
(A) 2 – ^2 (B) 3 – ^2 (C) 2 + ^2 (D) 3 + ^2
Since the given expression will be greater than 3 but less than 4, so we can simply eliminate the options (A), (B) and (D). Hence answer is (C)
Consider n + 1 points, L0, L1, ….., Ln, along a straight line such that the distance between Lk – 1 and Lk is k metres. Suppose one ball is placed at each location L1, L2, ….., Ln. A boy standing at L0 has to pick up each ball and place them in a basket placed at L0. If the boy cannot carry more than one ball at a time, the minimum distance that the boy travels to place all the balls in the basket is
(A) n (n + 1) metres (B) n (n + 1)(2n + 1)/6 metres
(C) n (n + 1)(n + 2)/3 metres (D) n (n + 1)(n + 2)/6 metres
You can simply take a particular value of n to answer this question, say 3.
So, required sum = 2 [1 + (1+ 2) + (1 + 2 + 3)] = 20
Only (C) gives same value for n = 3. Hence answer is (C).